Tuesday, March 02, 2010

And one more for Mr. Weeks (Orbit)

It would appear that Brent Weeks’ The Black Prism has had a re-design. While I had no problem with the original cover (it matched the style of his Night Angel Trilogy), the new cover artwork is a lot more atmospheric and, now that we know a little bit more about what the novel’s actually about, it seems to match better.

The original, leaked artwork:

Weeks-BlackPrism(Old) And the newer, slightly Prince of Persia-esque artwork:

Weeks-TheBlackPrism And here’s the synopsis:

Gavin Guile is the Prism, the most powerful man in the world. He is high priest and emperor, a man whose power, wit, and charm are all that preserves a tenuous peace. But Prisms never last, and Guile knows exactly how long he has left to live: Five years to achieve five impossible goals.

But when Guile discovers he has a son, born in a far kingdom after the war that put him in power, he must decide how much he’s willing to pay to protect a secret that could tear his world apart.

I must admit to not being 100% sure about having the protagonist named Gavin, as it seems a little… I don’t know… not entirely heroic. I’m sure I’ll get used to it, though. (What a terrible bias to have…)

Thanks to the excellent A Dribble of Ink for posting about this – otherwise, I wouldn’t have known about it. I have since found the original post on Orbit’s website. Although I do disagree with Adrian – I like this cover quite a bit. It’s simple, and more in keeping with the UK market (as far as I can tell). It’s clear, though, that we have different tastes when it comes to cover artwork, as I personally don’t like the new artwork for Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings, which is done in the US style.


  1. The name "Gavin" is still under discussion, actually. This is a US/UK divide in language, strangely. Our connotations are totally different, apparently. In the US, it sounds cool and different. Hrm. Hazards of publishing internationally, I guess. My UK editor is on your side. I have to decide 1) how much I should be swayed, and 2) can I come up with another name I like at LEAST as much as I like "Gavin Guile"?

    I don't usually comment on blogs, but I think your reviews are thoughtful, so I thought I'd give you an inside peak. :)

    Glad you like the cover. I like it, too! And I'm really pleased that Orbit were willing take a risk and branch out with my style.

    -Brent Weeks

  2. Hi Brent - thanks for stopping by!

    There's nothing wrong with the name "Gavin" per se. But I guess it does just have a different... feel to it in the UK. Not exactly heroic-sounding, I guess. Bit like "Jeffrey" or "Bernard"...

    Can't wait for "The Black Prism", hope writing is going well.