Sunday, February 26, 2012

25yrs (& a Day) of Warhammer 40,000

Ok, so this probably should have gone out yesterday, but I had something planned for the site already, and just never got around to posting this until now.

Warhammer 40,000 – Games Workshop’s science-fiction table-top wargame – became 25 years old yesterday. There were in-store events with exclusive products available. In terms of stuff related to this blog, and my own tastes, GW’s publishing arm Black Library also released a “25 for 25” eBook:

BlackLibrary-25For25

Here’s the table of contents:

“Pestilence” – Dan Abnett

“Wrath of Kharn” – William King

“Sacrifice” – Ben Counter

“Red Reward” – Mitchel Scanlon

“The Last Detail” – Paul Kearney

“At Gaius Point” – Aaron Dembski-Bowden

“Mistress Baeda’s Gift” – Braden Campbell

“Survivor” – Steve Parker

“The Heraclitus Effect” – Graham McNeill

“Flesh” – Chris Wraight

“Even Unto Death” – Mike Lee

“The Carrion Anthem” – David Annandale

“Bitter End” – Sarah Cawkwell

“On Mournful Wings” – Simon Spurrier

“Ancient History” – Andy Chambers

“The Burning” – Nick Kyme

“A Good Man” – Sandy Mitchell

“Suffer Not The Unclean To Live” – Gav Thorpe

“Orphans of the Kraken” – Richard Williams

“Bloodline” – James Swallow

“Snares and Delusions” – Matthew Farrer

“The Curiosity” – Dan Abnett

“The Skull Harvest” – Graham McNeill

“Gate of Souls” – Mike Lee

“Xenocide” – Simon Jowett

Some of the names I recognise from omnibus editions (Iron Warriors, Blood Angels, Ciaphas Cain, etc.), but others are completely new to me. I don’t, actually, think I’ve read more than a handful of these, so it is quite tempting. The price makes it more tempting still: £14.99/$17.99/€17.99 (I don’t understand why it’s much more expensive in the UK) for 25 short stories is a pretty good deal.

I’ve recently bought quite a few Black Library eBooks, so I’m not sure when or if I’ll be able to get around to buying and reading this, but I’m sure it’ll happen (there are a lot of writers I like included in the anthology).

No comments:

Post a Comment